Saturday, June 15, 2013

Gluten Free Spaetzle, German Noodle/Dumpling

I got this new light box for photographing my food dishes. I've been working on a gluten free cookbook for Thanksgiving so I wanted to be sure that I was going to get consistant high quality pictures of the dishes. I think that I need bigger lights in the long run but I'm decently pleased with my first use of the box. 

Today I decided to tackle spatetzle. Spaetzle is a German noodle/dumpling. It can be served topped with grilled onions and cheese or mushroom paprikash. I prepared mine boiled and then pan fried in butter but you can serve it straight from boiling.

Gluten Free Spaetzle with mushroom paprikash sauce.

Gluten Free Spaetzle

  • 1/3 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/3 cup potato flour
  • 1/3 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons butter


1. Mix together dry ingredients.

2. Beat eggs and add to dry mixture with milk till combined. 




3. Boil pot of salted water. 

3. There is something called a spaetzle maker but I used a flat cheese grater and pressed the dough through into the boiling water. This makes inconsistant noodle dumplings but thats part of the delicious appeal. 

4. Once dumpling/noodles float the top of the boiling water strain into a colander. 




5. Heat a large skillet and add the butter. Once pan is very hot toss in the boiled spaetzle. Fry till some of the dumpling have golden brown spots. 

6. Serve as you wish or eat with just a little salt and pepper! This would probably serve 2 people but if you want to eat a lot of it then double the recipe. 

Enjoy! xoxo - Iris


Pan butter fried gluten free spaetzle.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I don't have a grater, or a Spaetzle maker, can I use a roti jala, its a device used to make lace roti, a fancy pancake made by pouring batter into the roti jala and pouring into a hot pan.

    It looks like this: http://www.fussfreecooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Roti5-tile1.jpg

    Normally pancake batter is used for a roti jala but if I just stir the Spaetlze batter with a spoon would that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spaetzle is more of a dough not a batter so it won't really pour through anything. Basically you need anything will holes in it that you can squish the dough through. Perhaps a colander? Or maybe a large slotted spoon?

      Delete
    2. Thank for replying Iris. :) I will try using a piping bag or ziploc bag since my strainers are all fine mesh v_____v; and I won't be shopping til the end of the week. :) Thanks for the advice. ^-^

      Delete