Thursday, July 18, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumble




When I was a kid I used to receive these care packages from my grandmother, especially around the holidays. They always contained these raison oatmeal bars. The raisons were so sugary that the the syrup would soak into the oatmeal and I would pull the raisons off and eat just the oatmeal cookie portion of the bars. 

When my grandmother passed a few years ago I went on a mission to find the recipe for the raison bars, it's the kind of thing you never think to ask for and then when you realize it's gone you really miss it. 

I eventually came up with a recipe but still I think it wasn't the same since it didn't come in a box, all squished from shipping with that same loving touch that only a grandma can impart on a box of baked goods. 

This recipe is like a compilation of my childhood as strawberry rhubarb pie was also a favorite of mine. Here I marry together the simplicity of the oat bar with a less cloying filling than the original raisons cooked in sugar. To me this is the perfect gluten free summer treat and can be served warm or cool and eaten plain or a la mode to suit your mood!


Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumble

  • 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal flour
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/8 cup potato flour
  • 1/8 cup corn starch
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter (use butter subsitute if you wish to make this dairy free/vegan)
  • 2 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 2 cups diced fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup cane sugar
  • 3 tablespoons corn starch


1. Preheat oven to 350. 

2. Mix together diced rhubarb, strawberries, cane sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pan. Cook on low temperature till thick and bubbly. Turn off heat.

3. Combine all dry ingredients with butter. 

4. Press half of oat mixture into bottom of greased 9x9 pan. Pour cooked fruit mixture on top. 

5. Top with remaining oat mixture. 

6. Bake until top is golden brown and set. 

7. Serve warm or cooled. Particularly delicious a la mode!


Enjoy! xoxo - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment