Friday, December 20, 2013

Gluten Free Vegan Breakfast Sausages

I woke up this morning with a very specific craving. I've been a vegetarian my whole life and occasionally have really enjoyed those little vegetarian soy/wheat protein based breakfast links. But that was back in my wheat eating days, now it's seldom I find a faux meat product that isn't held together by wheat gluten.

I'm visiting my mom over the holidays and have been spending a lot of time in her kitchen making a delicious mess! So this morning I decided to start experimenting with making a gluten free/vegan breakfast link. The results were not just satisfying and simple but also tasty! In just a few short minutes I was able to whip up a batch of tofu links that satiated my desire for crispy crunchy golden sausages and yet filled with aromatic breakfasty delight!



Vegan Gluten Free Breakfast Links

  • 1 package firm tofu (approx 15 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp fresh sage chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon tamari sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground fennel
  • 1/2 tsp dry ground garlic
  • Dry mixed herbs to taste of your preference (about 2 Tablespoons): thyme, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, black pepper, smoked paprika
  • 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (find at health food store or Whole Foods)  
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
Directions:

1.  In a bowl pat tofu block to remove excess water, and then crumble till fine. 

2. Add all ingredients into bowl and combine till thoroughly mixed. 

3. Because this is a vegan dish you are safe to taste this uncooked mixture and adjust seasoning to meet your personal preference. 

4. Heat skillet greased generously with olive oil. 

5. Shape tofu mixture into desired shape. I opted for a link but if you prefer you can make little patties. 

6. Fry in oil till golden brown on all sides. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to remove any excess oil. 

7. Allow to sit for a minute which will prevent the sausages from being so delicate. Serve warm with desired accompaniment. 

Enjoy! xoxo- Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment