Friday, January 4, 2013

Beautifully Gluten-Free!

Going gluten free made me feel so much better in so many ways I can't even count. There were the obvious stomach and digestive issues that immediately began disappearing and I lost a lot of weight but one thing I hadn't even considered was  how my skin would be effected. I no longer get blemishes and the eczema on my arms began to disappear.

I've decided in 2013 I am going to be working on my confidence, now that I am feeling better inside I'm going to work on the outside. 

Last night I went to Sephora with my friend Erika, she was my guide in this journey of makeup exploration. I was pretty surprised to find out that there was such a limited amount of gluten free make up available. The sales-woman at Sephora recommended Too Faced as it was one of the only product lines she could safely say was gluten free. She though made sure to emphasize that the Too Faced lip liner is not gluten free. I did a little research on this and found this directly from Toofaced.com:


 Are your products gluten-free?

Actually ALL Too Faced products are gluten-free with the exception of our Borderline Lip Pencil.

So that means we are safe! 

Also, Too Faced products are vegan too. I've always been unable to use eye shadow as it makes my eye lids swell so I thought it would be interesting and worth while to find out if using a gluten free vegan product would make much a difference. I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of my eye lid sensitivity. While it could just be that I am a delicate little flower, it also could be fish in the shimmery products or wheat that I already know I am reactive to... For more information on why you too should use vegan make up products read this:


Top 10 Products You Didn’t Know Are Used in Cosmetics









Back to Sephora... I wanted to try a little bit of everything without over investing in a product that might not work for me. I was informed by another sale-woman that my skin was in need of exfoliating but that I needed to be careful as most exfoliants might be too harsh for my skin. This may have been an attempt to up-sell me on a product they were actively promoting in the center of the store for essentially a lady's facial sander, however I took the information and my friend Erika recommended making my own sugar exfoliant at home. 

In the end I purchase an eye shadow pack that contained about 8 colors varying from matte to shimmery, a lip gloss, blush, bronzer, a sampler pack with face, eye and lip primer, mascara another lip gloss and a toner moisturizer with an spf 20. This set me back about 80 dollars, not bad. I was also very tempted by their gorgeous eye liners but decided to start with what I had and maybe go back some other time. 





First thing I did when I got home was concoct a sugar scrub. I mixed cane sugar with coconut oil, a little olive oil and a bit of johnson and johnson's body wash. When I first washed my face with the mix my skin was a little red but it calmed very fast and my skin is smooth as a baby's bottom. Usually I have to moisturize but the oil in the scrub did the trick without leaving my face greasy so that was a good thing. 


Next I used the Too Faced toner/moisturizer. I only needed a tiny drop and I think I almost over-did it. Then I used the lip primer and lip gloss, a little bronzer on my cheek bones, blush on the apples of my cheeks and a combo of the eye shadows on my lids. I curled my eye lashes and used the mascara. I REALLY like the mascara. The products all went on very nicely and felt great on my skin, none were cakey and they didn't irritate my skin. 

The great news is my eyes did not swell from the shadow and my pores felt fine and breathed despite the fact that I used it as overall coverage. So I will definitely be continuing to use Too Faced products. I am considering buying their eyebrow kit and I'll need to find a moisturizer that's gluten free too.

xoxo - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment