Sunday, December 2, 2012

Beginning...

I went gluten free just over one year ago after a long period of digestive issues that had finally reached a point where ignoring them was no longer an option. Its been an interesting experience with a lot of challenges but also its a wonderful learning experience and ultimately I am healthier and happier and eat better than ever before.

I've been spending a lot of time pondering what direction my bakery will be taking. In June I began selling my gluten free baked goods at the Brentwood Farmer's Market and then expanded to a cafe in Van Nuys called Al's Chicken. Now I do a lot of special order requests for the holidays and birthdays.

My favorite thing about baking gluten free is that its a new world of recipes, I can challenge myself and while I reference recipes in books and online its up to me to make the recipe really work. The core challenge in gluten free cooking is texture and avoiding the dreaded chalky taste. For me another issue is that I don't like using xanthum gum or guar gum as an additive in my cooking so you'll find that the recipes I share are unlike a lot of the gluten free recipes already out there.

While at my core I love a good cookie I do intend to include other gluten free recipes here.

Enjoy! Gluten free eating for a happier tummy! <3 Iris



No comments:

Post a Comment