Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese

I recently uncovered a hidden love of cauliflower while preparing a carb free menu for a friend. Whipped cauliflower became a staple of my diet and shortly after I began reading about other uses of cauliflower in low carb and gluten free diets, for example cauliflower pizza crust. I have yet to try this but I have put it on my list of holiday recipes to try.

Last night I was making a very classic american style dinner for a friend and I made meatloaf and a green salad and in lieu of the mac and cheese I made cauliflower mac and cheese.




  • 1 average size head of cauliflower
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
  • pepper
  • salt
  • 1/2 cup parmesan 
  • gluten free bread crumbs (I use Udi's gf bread ground in the food processor)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Boil cauliflower that has been separated into pieces in well salted water till tender. Drain and place into baking pan.

2.  Melt butter and half and half, set aside a tiny portion of the not hot half and half to mix the corn starch. 
3. Mix in the cheddar and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese and stir, after cheese had melted add corn starch that has been liquified by the half and half and stir. 
4. Season with pepper and salt. 
5. Toss cauliflower in cheesey sauce till coated.Sprinkle with gf bread crumbs and remaining parmesan.
6. Place pan in oven and bake till top bread crumbs are golden and crispy, about 10 minutes. 
Enjoy! xoxo - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment