Friday, February 1, 2013

5 minute Red Chiliquilles

The first time I ever ate chilliquilles was in New Mexico when I was kid, it's funny because for such a simple food it certainly stuck with me. I think I particularly liked that they have something called "Christmas style" which is when your plate is served with green sauce on one side and red on the other... For those not familiar with chilliquilles, it's a popular Mexican dish of fried corn tortillas in sauce served for breakfast topped with shredded chicken or ham and fried eggs.

I'm calling this 5 minute chilliquilles as I'm sure it's a cheat but it's delicious and fast just the same. heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of your skillet. Toss in 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic. While the garlic seasons the oil cut your corn tortillas into triangles. I used smaller ones so cutting them into four was sufficient but if your have larger tortillas you can cut more.

Toss tortilla pieces into hot garlic oil and sauté until pieces are golden. I used store bought red enchilada sauce, and checked the ingredients to ensure that it was gluten free. Please note Trader Joes enchilada sauce is NOT GLUTEN FREE.

Pour enough sauce into the pan to coat the tortilla pieces and then sprinkle sea slat over and toss again. Serve with fried eggs, chopped cilantro, green onions, a crumbling of quest fresco and sour cream.

It makes for an excellent easy gluten free breakfast but frankly I would eat it for any meal of the day.

Xoxo - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment