Thursday, February 7, 2013

GlutenFreeda Bean and Cheese Burrito Product Review

 Glutenfreeda Gluten-Free Burrito, Vegetarian Bean and Cheese *** (2.5 out of 5 stars)

I picked one of these up from Sprouts during their large Gluten Free Sale. First off the price on these, on sale $2.50 each is less than impressive. Especially considering the size of the little thing.

Next the ingredients list is a major turn off for me as it has about a million ingredients.

Ingredients:

Gluten-free flour tortilla (white corn masa flour and a trace of lime, water, pregelatinized rice flour, potato flour, high oleic safflower oil, corn starch, xanthan gum and cultured dextrose), refried beans (beans, water, canola oil, salt), rice, cheddar cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, annatto color), salsa (tomatoes, tomato juice, (water, tomato concentrate, salt, vitamin C), onions, bell peppers, peppers, parsley, garlic, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, spices, sea salt, herbs), GMO free corn, sour cream (grade A cultured cream (milk), enzyme), garlic salt (garlic, salt, garlic oil). Contains dairy (milk).

Once I microwaved it the burrito's tortilla broke up in several places and the texture was all around much more like a corn tortilla than anything flour-like. So essentially its a pale wrapped up bean and rice taco.

OK, so I dwelled on the negative so now lets talk about the positives. Those millions ingredients are all recognizible food products and none that I mind with the exception of the xanthum gum (it reads xanthan gum, is that the same thing?) Anyways gums in general, I don't want in my food! However, the burrito tasted just fine, essentially nothing spectacular and what you would expect of a microwaved store bought burrito but good enough that I was able to eat it.

No, I would probably not ever purchase one again, however if I was somewhere and they were offered as an option and I was hungry I would eat it.

xoxo - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment