Monday, February 11, 2013

Key Lime Coconut Sorbet & Orange Sparkling Wine Sorbet

Coconut key lime sorbet, pictured
with orange sparkling wine sorbet,
a strawberry sweet wine syrup and
a white chocolate peanut butter heart cup.


Its easy to assume that something like ice cream, sorbet and sherbet would be gluten free, but sadly due to stabilizers with odd scientific names and sweeteners derived from wheat its not so easy to know exactly what you are consuming.

Lately I've been on a mission to not consume anything purchase from a store or restaurant that contains multiple ingedients. I'm hoping this will give wheat less places to hide in my food.





KEY LIME COCONUT SORBET

  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup key lime juice
  • 1/4 cup or more cane sugar (you can add more and determine when the mixture reaches the sweetness level you prefer. 


1. I put all the ingredients into a container and shook it to mix and then dumped the mixture into my ice cream maker. This way when it was done processing I returned it to the container for storage and I had no dirty dishes. 
2. I recommend using the Trader Joes canned light coconut milk for this. When I checked at the store all the other coconut milks had stabilizers and thickeners, including the TJ brand of thick coconut milk. The light coconut milk only had coconut and water as the ingredients so I feel safe eating it. 
This is hands down the best sorbet ever! And also will make for a great popsicle if you do not have an ice cream maker. 


ORANGE SPARKLING WINE SORBET

  • 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate (be sure its only ingredients are orange juice)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sparkling white white or champagne (if I had used champagne I would have called this a mimosa sorbet but I just had some sparkling wine left around the house.)

1. Mix together all ingredients and pour into ice cream maker. This mix would not make for a good popsicle because the fizz of the sparkling wine or champagne expands as it freezes. This makes for a great light textured sorbet but would make for a mess in your freezer. If you would like to modify this to make a popsicle I recommend using a sweet white wine with no sparkles. 
I know, its easy and hardly seems like a recipe at all, but I think the best things in life shouldn't be hard.

xoxo- Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment